Week 1 of INSANITY is done! And I made it! So here are my observations about it so far:
1) It makes you question your level of fitness. Okay, I know I’m in shape. I know what not being in shape is like (i.e. The Paula of yesteryear who almost passed out from running a mile) and I know what in shape is (i.e. The Paula who worked out multiple times a week, once with a trainer who told her she was more fit than 99% of her clients). INSANITY probably isn’t for you if you’ve never worked out before, just saying. And I’m not saying it isn’t doable for a fitness newbie, but the moves are fast and put a lot of stress on your body. You must have proper form, or you risk injury, so this is why I’m hesitant to recommend it to you are just starting a fitness regime. Major modifications should be made if you aren’t already somewhat in shape, or maybe another Beachbody program is more appropriate!
2) Knees, knees, knees! Protect your knees! Land softly and with knees bent.
3) Legal Highs. Best endorphin high of my life. More than you get when running. Let’s just say that after “Pure Cardio” I may have blasted Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’,” danced around the room, and sang at the top of my lungs. This was after having an absolutely horrible day where I had to push myself to not take a nap after work and get my workout in. I then went into the kitchen, saw my housemate and told him how much I LOVE INSANITY.
4) Shaun T. is really hot, positive and understanding. He’s hot because he’s Shaun T. and he has a great smile! He’s positive because he tells you to keep going and says he is “right there with you”. He’s understanding because he makes sure you “know your limits” and to take breaks if you need them. I actually have some not so nice opinions of DVD workout instructors, but I’m a big fan of Shaun T. (especially when he takes his shirt off!)
5) Holy Abs! So I’m not sure how to feel about the fact that my abs are actually becoming firm, muscular and more defined because as this happens, I’m seeing them grow outwards. Let’s note that I’ve always been pretty skinny (thanks for the good genes!) but I’ve never actually had serious abdominal muscles. I do my exercises right and always pull my belly button inward, but still see my stomach actually getting bigger where muscle is growing. It doesn’t look bad, but I’m just not 100% used to it.
In other news, I bought some protein shakes that were on sale at Target. I always feel like I should refuel after a workout, but never know what exactly to drink/eat/etc. They basically taste like flavored milk, yum I guess?
I’m also training for the Monument Avenue 10K in Richmond, VA, on April 13th. Last year, I ran it in 58:10 and would like to PR again this year! I’m running in the seeded 58 minute wave, which is huge for me because four years ago I couldn’t run two miles without stopping! To be in a seeded wave is really exciting for me – it means I’m an actual runner! But I’m trying to keep up with the INSANITY workouts and run too and it’s pretty stressful on my knees. I’m wondering, does anyone have any recommendations to fit running in with INSANITY? If you do, feel free to share!
As for now, I’m starting Week 2! I only really want to upload progress photos every two weeks, but here’s me at the week mark!
Also, because people like to see pictures on these blog things, I’m leaving you with the reason I work out – FOOD.
I love food and use it to reward myself! I try and eat healthy, but I don’t think it’s wrong to indulge every now and then, especially if your workouts make you want to weep on the floor like a small child when you are done.